Can You Sponsor Your Parents for a Green Card? 

Family-Based Immigration
Can You Sponsor Your Parents for a Green Card? 



Can You Sponsor Your Parents for a Green Card? 

Experiencing life as an immigrant often involves the separation of family members. This separation can be difficult to bear, especially for parents who are left behind in their home country. As such, many permanent residents and citizens often wonder if they can sponsor their parents for a green card to bring them over to the United States.

Reuniting families has always been at the heart of our immigration law practice at The Law Office of Robert D. Ahlgren and Associates. For over five decades, we have assisted countless individuals in navigating the complex realm of U.S. immigration policies to bring their loved ones together. In this blog, we will discuss if you can be a sponsor for your parents and the process of obtaining a green card for them.

Eligibility Criteria: Who Can Petition?

The first step towards sponsoring parents for a green card involves understanding the eligibility criteria. The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen or a lawful permanent resident at least 21 years of age. However, it’s important to note that even if you meet these requirements, the process doesn’t end here.  

Application Process

Once you’ve determined eligibility and established financial support, the next step is to start the application process. This involves filing Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). The form requires detailed information about both the petitioner and the beneficiary (parent). 

Limited Visas and Lengthy Processing Times

The limited number of family-based immigration visas available each year is a significant obstacle. When the demand surpasses the supply, as it often does with family-based visas, a backlog forms; consequently, the processing times can be lengthy, sometimes stretching into years. This delay can be frustrating and emotionally taxing for families longing for reunification.

Burdensome Documentation Requirements and Financial Eligibility

Another hurdle that petitioners face is the extensive documentation required. This includes filing Form I-130, the Petition for Alien Relative, which is the initial step in requesting a family member’s immigration. The United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) scrutinizes these applications meticulously, making it vital to submit an error-free, comprehensive application.

Furthermore, the petitioner must provide proof of financial support. This is done by submitting an Affidavit of Support, which serves as a contract between the sponsor and the U.S. government, ensuring the immigrant will not become a public charge.

Contact an Experienced Immigration Attorney

The path to sponsoring your parents for a green card is filled with potential roadblocks. However, with proper guidance and patience, it’s possible to navigate these challenges successfully. Each case is unique, and what worked for one family might not work for another. Therefore, seeking professional legal advice tailored to your situation is paramount.

At The Law Office of Robert D. Ahlgren and Associates, we are committed to guiding you through this process. Our experienced team is well-versed in handling complex immigration cases and will work diligently to help you reunite with your loved ones. Contact us today to schedule a consultation.


Facebook Twitter

How Can We Help You?

Contact us today to schedule a consultation.

  • * Disclaimer: By providing my contact information, I acknowledge and give my explicit consent to be contacted via SMS. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency may vary. Reply STOP to opt out.