Green Cards

Green Cards

Obtain a Green Card with the help from our Chicago Immigration Lawyer

Many people from across the world wish to migrate to the United States for various reasons, and even though there are many options through which one can come to the country legally, coming as a green card holder is preferred by many. A green card can be obtained in different ways, but the most common is through family relationships or employment. At the law office of Robert D. Ahlgren and Associates, we help families and employers in the Chicago area to obtain green cards for their family members or prospective foreign employees.

Family-Based Green Card

Under U.S. immigration law, a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident (Green Card holder) can have certain qualifying relatives to be given green cards based on the familial relationship. The law divides these family members into various categories that have a bearing on how fast or long it would take for the qualifying family member to obtain their green card.

The following are the family-based categories for obtaining a green card:

  • Immediate Relatives. Certain relatives of U.S. citizens and Green Card holders are eligible to obtain a green card based on that family relationship. The relatives who are eligible to obtain the family-based green card are spouses of U.S. citizens, unmarried children of a U.S. citizen who are under the age of 21 years old, and a parent of a U.S. citizen if the U.S. citizen is at least 21 years old. These are what is referred to as “immediate relatives,” which is a much-desired category to be in because these relatives get priority processing – meaning their green cards are processed faster and ahead of those in all other categories. 
  • Preference Category. If one is not an immediate relative, then they may fall under the category of family immigration known as the “Preference Category.” This category is composed of children of U.S. citizens who are over the age of 21 and are not married, spouses of green card holders, and unmarried children of green card holders who are under the age of 21.

Employment-Based Green Card

  • Employment. Another way of migrating to the United States is through employment. To obtain a green card through employment, one must first have a job offer from an American employer. However, the employer must first obtain what is referred to as “labor certification” from the U.S. Department of Labor. This certification attests that the American employer cannot find qualified American workers to perform the job offered and that the foreign employee who has been offered the job will be paid prevailing wages. This certification is required for permanent employment offers unless it can be shown that the foreign worker deserves a waiver in the national interest.
  • Other. Besides the above two broad categories, there are other ways one can obtain a green card, and these include migrating as a Special Immigrant, a human trafficking or crime victim, as a domestic abuse victim, or through other categories.

Seek Help from a Chicago Green Card Attorney

If you are in the Chicago area and are interested in obtaining a green card, contact our office today to schedule a consultation about how we can help you.

How Can We Help You?

Contact us today to schedule a consultation.